Following our Cyber Security Round Table event chaired by Amicus ITS’ Head of Technology & Governance JP Norman, on Wednesday 24th June at IBM, delegates discussed the core issues affecting public and private sector organisations. The key takeaway points for all organisations is detailed below:
Top Tip Takeaways:
1. The urgent need to raise awareness of the EU Data Directive, its potential impact and 5% TO financial penalties.
2. To consider the impact and to plan ahead if we voted to opt out of the EU in the UK Referendum
3. The need for organisations to educate staff on the issues and impact of cyber security, data and correct device use.
4. To secure Board engagement on risk from cyber security breaches to recognise the resulting commercial fallout from loss of trust.
5. Appoint a Data Controller and create core stakeholder engagement across departments.
6. Organisations to implement and regularly review quality BYOD processes and manage web browsing and software applications.
7. Organisations need to control data streaming and ensure it stays in the UK to remain compliant.
8. Match security awareness by staff with maximising their productivity for the business.
9. Ensuring your 3rd party supply chain have the same compliance checks, liabilities and recognised failure penalties to accompany your due diligence processes.
10. To treat VOIP the same as any other form of data from cyber security POV and award it the same protections and covered by the same regulations as other data.
11. Have an up to date digital policy and security measures within HR whatever the nature of the leaver to avoid data breach.